Meta, the biggest SoMe, says "A Lookalike Audience is a way your ads can reach new people who are likely to be interested in your business because they share similar characteristics to your existing customers."
Mr. Zuckerberg is for sure onto something here! 👀 But how does it work?
Now that you know the idea behind it, the first step is finding the source audience. Here are a few audience examples you can find in Activity Stream:
- Customers who Bought Tickets for Similar Event(s)/Production(s)
Or (if multiple events)
1. Go to the Segment Builder.
2. Select Customers who have valid tickets to specific event(s).
NOTE: Make sure this audience is in the same location as the one you want to create a lookalike audience for.
- Customers who Bought Tickets for the Event/Production you are Currently Promoting
2. If you wish, you can narrow down the audience further with Customer Tags, such as "Very Loyal Customer".
3. Export the Facebook or Google Ads CSV.
NOTE: As you are exporting a CSV file for a lookalike campaign, this means that you will be targeting similar customers to those you have exported, so you will not be targeting the people who have already purchased tickets for your event.
- Customers who Bought Tickets for the Same Event Category/Type
2. Then, on the dashboard, filter down by Event Category or Event Type.
3. Filter down by the location in which the event you're promoting will be, using the Heat Map or other location focused elements. This is important if you manage multiple venues on your platform, to ensure you're capturing an audience who is likely to attend an event in the location being currently promoted.
4. If you wish, you can narrow down the audience further with Customer Tags, such as "Very Loyal Customer".
5. Export the Facebook or Google Ads CSV.
Great, you have your source audience! 🎉 The second step is creating a lookalike ad.
- Once you have built the segment you want to create a lookalike audience for, click on the button on the top right visualisation bar, and select what kind of Customer List CSV you would like to export.
- Then, on your social media site's ad manager page, import the exported CSV file to create a Custom Audience for your ad campaign.
Too many options and you don't know where to click or what to choose when creating the ad? 😕
Not to worry, Activity Stream to the rescue!! 🦸🏻♀️ Here's a step by step guide for Facebook lookalike ads, just for you! ⬇️